Sunday, November 18, 2012

Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken and Rice

**UPDATE**
I've moved to ladybugsandlattes.com
You can find this post and more here
***

I don't hate much (well, that's a lie, and I hate lies), but I really despise touching raw meat. Raw chicken is the worst. Ideally, the hubby cuts all of the fat and bloody parts off while I prepare everything else. Unfortunately, it was just me and the baby and although I'm sure she would love to play with the raw floppy chicken breasts, it was up to me to touch it. By. My. Self. Ew. But I sucked it up and did it and I'm glad I did because I made a delicious dinner with my handy dandy crock pot.

Need an easy slow cooker meal that will taste great? We love this dish.


Ingredients:
5 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed and fat trimmed off
1 (14.4 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
14 oz chicken broth
8 oz corn
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3 scallion onions, chopped
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. pepper
rice or pasta

1. Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker except chicken.


2. Lay the chicken on top.


3. Cook on low for 10 hours (or high for 6 hours).

4. Shortly before serving, cook rice or pasta. We like this meal with rice best, but we also like to change it up with some pasta every now and then.

5. Scoop the chicken mixture on top of your rice (or pasta).



I like to make a batch of this for dinner and then shred up the rest of the chicken and separate leftovers into toddler-size portioned containers to freeze. They make quick, delicious, and nutritious lunches for my little girl. Just make a small batch of rice or pasta to go with it and serve. Simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment