Monday, December 24, 2012

Homemade Playdough


**UPDATE**
I've moved to ladybugsandlattes.com
You can find this post and more here


One of my little Cadybug's favorite activities is Playdough. Of course I sit and play with her to make sure none of it enters any of the holes in her face, but she has been sneaky in the past and tasted it anyway. Was I at all worried? No, because I made it myself and knew exactly what was in it.

It is so simple and takes only about 20 minutes for 4 decent-sized pieces!

Here is what you will need:
* 1 pot
* 1 spoon
* wax paper
* 1 cup flour
* 1 teaspoon oil
* 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1/4 cup salt
* 1 cup water
* food coloring


1. Combine the flour, oil, cream of tartar, salt, and water in the pot over medium heat.


2. Stir constantly until it becomes a ball of dough.


3. Remove from heat.

4. When the dough cools, knead it with your hands to make a big, smooth, round ball.

5. Divide it into four equal pieces (or more or less, depending on how many different colors you want to make).

6. Take an individual piece of dough and flatten it out. Place 3-4 drops of food coloring on it and knead the dough in your hands until the color starts to show. Add more food coloring until you get the desired color. Repeat with the 3 other balls of dough.

7. Put each color in its own container. You can use small, air-tight containers. I typically wrap the dough in wax paper and store in a plastic baggie. It stays soft for several weeks.

8. Play and enjoy!

PS Yes, my hands have food coloring all over them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment