Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Jack-O-Lantern Felt Activity

**UPDATE**
I've moved to ladybugsandlattes.com
You can find this post and more here
***

Hello, fall. This is the time of pumpkin everything...including easy early childhood activities.

What is my little Cadybug up to? She is happily playing with the pumpkin felt activity I made for her. With this one simple activity, she is learning so much:
* Fine Motor Skills - she is using her pincer grasp to place the pieces on the pumpkin
* Cognitive Skills - she is placing the pieces in a face pattern
* Social-Emotional Skills - as she creates a face for the jack-o-lantern, I talk to her about their expressions (silly, scared, etc.)
* Science - she is learning light vs. dark with the yellow face pieces vs. the black face pieces
* Body Parts - she is learning parts of the face
* Colors - as she picks up a piece, I say its color
* Shapes - as she picks up a piece, I say its shape



It took me about 10 minutes to make, but it has kept my toddler busy for at least 20 minutes at a time!

What You Need:
* 1 piece of orange felt
* < 1 piece of black felt
* < 1 piece of yellow felt
* scrap of green felt
* a dab of hot glue

Cut the orange felt to resemble a pumpkin.

Cut the green felt to look like a stem and glue it onto the pumpkin.


Cut the black felt to make different face pieces. These are the ones I did, but you can be really creative with this part. Cut the yellow felt to make face pieces so that the jack-o-lantern can "light up".


Store all of the pieces in a bag when your toddler isn't busy playing and creating faces.




No comments:

Post a Comment