Monday, October 15, 2012

Kitchen Scrubber and Soap Plate


**UPDATE**
I've moved to ladybugsandlattes.com
You can find this post and more here
***

My kitchen scrubber is always left on the counter, near the edge of the sink. It gets nasty and leaves the counter a slimy, wet mess. Who knows what kind of grossness is sliding around my counter top, but what I do know is that I want a place to put it so that it doesn't saturate everything near it. (Yep, first world problems...)

I saw this cute Kitchen Dish Soap Cake Stand on Pinterest, and I was inspired to try to make one of my own and quarantine my wet scrubber.

What a coincidence! Today was scratch-off day at the Goodwill store and I received an extra 10% off of my purchases...so Cady and I spent about 45 minutes rummaging through the shelves to find craft-inspiring treasures.

Success! I found this medium-sized ceramic plate and this short (but sturdy) glass. I immediately loved the plate because it has dividers on it. Not only will my scrubber stop sliding around the counter top, but it won't even slide around this cake stand!

Glass: $.49 + 10% off + tax = $.47
Plate: $.99 + 50% off yellow tag items + 10% off + tax = $.48
Total Price: $.95

Less than a dollar to make my life a little simpler. I can handle that.

Here's what I did:

1. Peel off all stickers and residue and then wash thoroughly with warm water and soap (it was sitting on the shelves of a Goodwill, afterall). Then thoroughly dry the glass and plate.


2. Spread hot glue on the bottom of the plate and the bottom of the glass. Then quickly place the glass in the center of the plate.




3. Let dry and then display your frugally classy scrubber and soap plate!


You might be thinking, "Rachel, why don't you save yourself the trouble and just leave the plate flat on the counter?" Well, I've been wanting to do a test run of making a cake plate, so I thought this would be a nice start. Plus, yes, the plate keeps those scrubber juices from sliding around the counter, but I just feel better about it being a few inches above any accidental brushing with other items.

I really like how it turned out, but I think I will eventually try to paint it to match my kitchen decor better. Other than that, I am super happy with my new kitchen scrubber and soap plate...and the lack of scrubber slosh left on my counter top.

1 comment:

  1. Saw this on Pinterest...so great! I'm looking for a new sponge solution! Love how it's divided!

    ReplyDelete